I've decided that just one mom's group is not enough. It may have something to do with the format of the one I have been going to. It's 20-30 people in a room talking about things they are experiencing. The former pediatrics nurse who runs it is awesome, and I have learned a lot. However, I am not really connecting with others that easily. The setting is just not conducive to getting to know each other sessions and it's not necessarily the same people every week. Luckily, one brave mom did approach me and we went for a great walk on Friday - almost two hours! Plus, this was after the morning's activities, so it was QUITE the day. Plus, I had book club that night. Anyway, we just walked back and forth in my neighborhood with our big babies... her daughter is 11 weeks old and 14lb. (Kian is 9 weeks old and 16lb). We're going again in two weeks when we'll walk in her neighborhood (Madrona). She and I discussed how there's this weird back to high school feeling - do others like me? should I be aggressive and ask people to get together?? Fortunately, she "accosted" me and it led to such a nice walk.
During our walk, we talked quite a bit about our birth stories, nursing, etc. She encouraged me to join PEPS, so that I'd have another mom's group. Another friend of mine, Sarah, had also recommended that I join a long time ago. I don't know why I thought I could have only one mom's group, so I didn't at the time. This group is very different from First Weeks. I would meet once a a week (for 12 weeks) on a rotational basis at the houses of the different parents in the group. Ideally, your group would all live in your neighborhood. I think it's just what I'm looking for!
Also, I finally got together with the Iranian friend of Anny's. She is expecting but also has a 21 month old son. It was so nice to meet her! My mom, Rob and I went over for pie and some tea, and we just hung out. She told me she's created her own personal Persian PEPS group - only Farsi speaking and they may introduce they're own curriculum appropriate for two year olds. She let me know of a good DVD for teaching kids Farsi, and bunch of other things. I also learned that most Persians live on the East Side. Sadness...
Anyway, I'm working on getting my act together. I hope I get into a PEPS group - left a message today!, and I'm on the list for a mom/baby class that starts in September. It's a parent education class at the local community college. I've heard it's pretty good! Oh, and "Mommy and Me" yoga on Thursdays. Life could get very busy, but it sounds great! I mean, what else am I going to do with a day filled with me and Kian??? :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment