Kian is sleeping. It's my time to do pretty much everything - cook (though my mom generally covers that), clean, blog, catch up on e-mails, and even use the bathroom. woo-hoo!!
Last week, I took the little guy to get his first vaccinations. Well, he got the first set of Hep-B at the hospital when he was less than 24 hours old. Last week's set had six different vaccines. It came out to two shots in one leg, a shot in the other, and one (Rotavirus) he had to drink. It was so sad seeing them stick him, but he actually took it all reasonably well. My recommendation would be to breastfeed if you can (surprisingly, it's pretty normal at the pediatrician's office) or to give the baby a pacifier or something. Kian had a pacifier and it really helped, although from my experience with the jaundice sticks in the heel, I learned that breastfeeding is MUCH better. He didn't cry at all then.
It was so weird seeing him pretty much immediately get a fever (his first one! so sad!), and then he was so drowsy until evening. He was so grumpy that day, and remained fussy for about 48 hours. Seeing all this, I couldn't help but think about claims some make about a risk of autism or of the other risks associated with vaccines. I just have to keep reminding myself that the vaccinations are worth it when you weigh in the risk of what they are protecting him from. It's just so hard to watch. But I gotta say, Kian was a champ!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment