Friday, February 20, 2009

Running a Marathon

I had a realization today. Many people have flat out said that I was crazy for having an all natural birth. Why would I want to do that? Why put myself through that pain? And while I was taking my totally awesome afternoon shower, I let my mind wander... and I came across this thought. Why in the world do people run marathons? I would never run a marathon. So I guess we each have our own things that we pick and choose... even if they're painful. And here I am on the other side, and you know what, I am proud. If you can be proud of doing something crazy like running a marathon, then I'm going to be proud of doing something crazy like having an unmedicated birth.

5 comments:

Rainster said...

You *absolutely* should be proud of choosing to have a natural birth!!! It's in no way crazy -- some women want to but can't (like my sister, who'll have to have a C section), and some women prefer the drugs. But it's *your* experience, and a highly admirable one. =)

BS said...

People tend to be critical of others' very personal decisions. You should definitely be proud of your choice if for no other reason than because it was YOUR choice and you followed through!

Nee said...

I feel better reading these comments and for just writing this thought out. I also have an issue with being proud of accomplishments. I need to separate being proud from excessive pride.

Sara said...

So, my goal...is to give birth WHILE I'm running a marathon. Ok, getting serious - I've only had a sneak preview of the pain (ifyouknowwhatimean) and I am in awe of you and so proud to have a friend who is a goddess of she-power!

Nee said...

Coming from a marathon runner, I take that as a huge compliment. ;)