Kian is definitely getting ready to eat food. Here he's swiping at some bacon! Very appropriately, he's wearing an "I love bacon" onesie that a friend had embroidered for him. (New pictures posted.) We had a great bacon pancake fest with friends, and Kian wanted in on some of the action.
In general, Kian wants some of everything we are eating or drinking. If we have a glass of water (or a beer bottle), he tries to grab it. It's gotten to the point where I give him sips of my water (no beer for you!), and he really enjoys that experience. He's even gotten licks of banana and avocado as well. One of my aunt's gave him a taste of a cookie with chocolate (Digestives) while we were in London (when I wasn't watching!), and he was all over that. We'll have those pictures up soon, and you can see the chocolate smeared all over his face. Happily, he didn't cry when I took it from him, as I really didn't want him having chocolate... supposedly introducing foods too early can bring on allergies, and I definitely don't want him allergic to chocolate. That would be tragic! Overall, this kid is ready for food!
The current recommendation is to wait until a baby is six months old to introduce food (a change from the old 4-6 month range), but I've been thinking... if my baby is TELLING me that he is ready, I think he's ready. Rob and I went a great "First Foods" seminar with Ann Kepler (who runs my mom's group), and I think we're ready to go for food. I went to a special nursing doctor this morning (my nursing issues continue!), and she suggested meat as a great first food for its zinc and iron properties. As such, I'm thinking avocado, sweet potato, and then chicken or beef. His high chair should arrive tomorrow - very exciting!
2 comments:
I actually read a very interesting article that said all of the allergy problems may actually be a result of waiting too long to introduce food. I'll see if I can find it and forward it to you. The short version is that in the past 5 years, since doctors have been recommending on waiting to introduce eggs and Peanut butter, more kids now have allergies than ever before.
I would trust your instincts, on food too. Bryce can already had feed him self Cheerios, chew them (with out teeth) & is one happy camper at the table now that he isn't feeling so left out.
So Kian has RSV... he was in the hospital overnight last night, so they could monitor his breathing. I am not excited about being alone with him tonight, as his breathing is very labored just now. Anyway, while there, they had a dietitian come talk to me about introducing solids, because they thought I was feeding Kian too much/too often!! I went off... it was so inappropriate in that context ESPECIALLY because I have put so much thought into it and talked to the pediatrician about it. (I have heard of that study and that they may have parents go back to 4-6 months again. Fun times!)
Post a Comment